Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dill Weed - Part 1: Growing Dill

I love dill! I decided to grow some in our garden boxes this year. It grew like a weed in the Chicago humidity. I'm guessing this might be why they call it Dill Weed. (I'm so clever, I know.)

It stretched up, up, up, and then bolted. Bummer. For those of you that aren't familiar with the term bolting, this is when an herb, or lettuce, starts to flower. The plant is usually doomed after this happens. Certain herbs, like dill and cilantro, bolt quickly. You can usually get two to three harvests out of them before the plant throws up flower spikes and is done growing. (My cilantro will be the next one I chop off.)

The dill lasted about a month and a half. I planted it June 2nd and chopped it July 17th. I spent $3.99 for a 4.5" pot. My final harvest, pictured above, is a LARGE amount of dill. I would have paid much more than $3.99 to buy the same quantity of fresh dill at the grocery store. I got my money's worth out of this plant even though it didn't last long.

Bolted Dill

Chopped off Bolted Dill

I left the chopped off part to see if, by some miracle, it would defy nature and start to grow again. So far it's simply turning yellow and starting to look like death. Oh well. My motto with gardening is "you never know for sure until you try!"

Stay tuned to find out what I did with all of this dill...

No comments:

Post a Comment