Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dill Weed - Part 2: The Loot

Now, what to do with all that dill? One thing about growing your own herbs and veggies is that sometimes you end up with a lot of one thing all at once. A good example of this was the dill I harvested a few days ago. Extending the shelf life of these items seems to be key.

I did a little research online and came up with a few things to try. First, I froze a bunch of it. Second, I made dill sour cream (which I will probably throw over some potatoes for a quick potato salad. Whenever I think dill, I think dill and potatoes. They just seem like a match made in heaven.) Third, dill butter.

Frozen Dill
Cut off the stems and put it in a freezer bag. I envisioned it turning into a mushy dark green mess. However, after frozen it still looks same, just a bit darker. Online it said to use it within two months. I'll let you know how it goes.


Dill Sour Cream
Mix dill, sour cream, a little garlic powder, a little onion salt, and pepper in a food processor. (I used my mini one again.) Use it as a dip or dressing.


Dill Butter
Mix dill, softened butter (used unsalted so I added a little salt), and pepper to taste. Use food processor to blend, adding just a little vegetable oil to make it spreadable. Store it in the fridge until you're read to use it. Enjoy on toast or corn on the cob. We had it on our toast this morning... very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment